I'm Trying Not To Write A Poem About You


I'm Trying Not to Write A Poem About You
I’m trying not to write a poem about you
Because if I do
Then that means we’re getting serious
And delirious
Thinking that
Us two can do
Anything but make fate furious
Make life smirk
And jerk us around
Lying that we have found that someone
To surround
Ourselves with
Because a relationship between us
Is a myth
It’s a sinking ship
A disjointed hip
A pancake burning on the stove unable to flip
So I’m going to zip my lips
Propelling these emotions into poetry
Vividly describing my fantasies
Of yous and mes
That will make us itch for each other
Because love is like a pack of fleas
It disturbs your normality and formalities
And replaces them with maladies
And fallacies
But yet when you catch my eye I crave to tumble to my knees
And roll around in the pieces of your soul
Forbidden love always takes a toll
But it keeps replaying on my record
Like the good ol’ rock’n roll
And I’ve witnessed how it stole
The opportunities to make things acceptable
Enjoyable
And the unconventional boilable
And I just want to come up with the perfect rhymes
And times
And universes for me and you
But right now the world will clench us and chew
The fragments of beauty that compose us
Degrading us to dust
Oxidizing us into rust
Tossing away our royal flush
And I need to rush away from your arms
Because I’m afraid of the harm they can’t do
Because deep down I know I’m good with you
And like the unwoven laces of a shoe
That causes me to trip
My perception of responsibility to rip
My faith and culture to strip
And be stark naked in the wind
And we aren’t compatible anyway
It doesn’t matter that you like poetry
And me
My political views
And me
My activities
And me
And how you dance along me like the breeze
Nah
I’m allergic to you
Watch me sneeze
From these anxieties
And wheeze from the romance you use to infect me
Revise and redirect me
And I’m afraid to address a physician and let him assess me
Because he will send a request to me
To examine my internal rooms
And that’s just terrifying
Because I’ll discover that I’m defying all the values I was supposed to believe in
The “you date Jews” philosophy I was meant to breathe in
And never exhale
And you screwed that up
You gave me rain when I all I was ever to expect was hail
And my doting of you is only going to cause me to derail
From the path of a “nice Jewish boy” I was supposed to forever descend
And you my lovely friend
Have taken my hand
With your charisma and dashing smile
Dragged me on an extra mile to the left
And I can’t stand a world when I don’t have a chance of losing my first kiss to you
So my current universe has begun to unravel and undo
And I’m hoping that by writing these poems
That I can preserve what was I instructed to believe
That I can vent the sensations that my body wreathes
When you stare and me
That I can emerge from this sea
Of forbidden love and such
But I’ve never been a great swimmer
Just ask my sister
But do not list her
The context of the question
Because I’m anchored in this wrong but right direction
No longer ashamed of my reflection
Or agonized introspection
And now I’m baffled with the concept of creating an ending for this poem
Because I can’t even begin to foresee the finality of our reality
So I’m going to let these lines and rhymes close
But I hope our door never does.

Comments

Popular Posts