For More Than Poetry

Welcome to my poetry blog! Please visit my Official Website, for films, visual art, published prose and other news!

Trending Poems

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Holiday Cheer and Movie Fear

It is holiday season once again, and that means traditions shall be brought back to life. As your typical Long Island jew, I continued my Christmas Day custom of visiting the movies. I love it, and usually the movies this time of year are great. This year I saw with my mother The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
The movie had a complex brillant plot along with terrific character development, but man was it brutal. I have never seen such graphic sexual and physical violence in my existence. At times it seemed as if it wasn't even trully needed. SPOILER ALERT: the main character was viciously raped on screen, and it actually wasn't related to the larger plot, just for character development.
This spawned a question to you underaged voices:

To get attention to one's work, is brutal graphic violence needed? Or should the craft speak for itself?

I also recently saw Hugo, Martin Scorsece's newest film. He is best known for violent works like The Godfather but this movie was rated PG. It was not a children's movie. It had a depth and beauty only an adult can enjoy. By doing this, leaving out unnecessary curses and violence, did Sorsece sacrifice attention, or did he create a film strong enough to shine without the soot?
YOU
DECIDE.

(write about it)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact

Ariel is available and interested in anything creative!
For spoken word performances & workshops, web & graphic design, or other writing/film projects please contact via email at arielsob@usc.edu.
New York & Los Angeles work preferred!